Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Why Create a New Blog?

One of the great advantages of blogging over writing a newspaper column is that a person can have a blog for all areas of interest. That's good for me because I have a nomadic mind; it wanders all over the place. Like a regular newspaper column, a blog needs some common themes to explore. The threads that I believe will bring these far-flung thoughts in this blog together are curiosity and appreciation.

Questions are wonderful things, they bring us knowledge; though sometimes that knowledge is not the knowledge we sought. Just learning to bring forth the right question is an education in itself. Attempting to understand the information our questions deliver is still more education of a different type altogether. By asking a question, we acknowledging our ignorance and begin the process of becoming wiser than we were.

Rodin's The Thinker at the Musée Rodin.Image via WikipediaIn my other regular blog, where I analyze political policies and strategies, it's not easy to slide in a post on quantum physics or baseball or Christianity or even the wonderful philosophical questions common to mankind. It's almost as hard to slide in a reference to Groucho Marx as it is to reference a question of eternity. It's a kind of structural straitjacket.

We all need an occasional escape. This is my Houdini blog - a blog where I can slip out of the necessary confines that hold my other blogs together. My restriction here is only self-discipline.

At my age, there are so many things I still want to know and I think that's a wonderful thing. To consider the alternative, that I would live a life of little or no intellectual curiosity, is more frightening to me than death. In the first instance, surely I have lost myself and in the second, I hope to find my true self. Time will eventually tell.

I think that to be sane, we have to question those things that don't make sense to us. We will never answer all of our questions and don't even have the capacity to understand some of the answers we do receive. After we get our information, we have to be prepared to discard those things which truly offend our sensibilities. To continue to tolerate things which should not be tolerated is a sure path to madness.

One additional thought on questions. If we fail to answer questions honestly, then asking the question is only an exercise in self-deception and will not yield useful answers.

In the meantime, when I want to write about some of my favorite things, I have an outlet. I hope we both enjoy this. I hope to get feedback from you that covers both the good and the bad aspects of my blog.

As always, thanks for reading.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment