Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Unexamined Life

There's nothing like a little self-reflection to remind us of how seldom we examine ourselves. It was Socrates who invaded our individual, self-contained universes with the reminder, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

Perhaps he's right, but it's no fun to write a blurb introducing one's self to a mixture of new readers, old friends and fellow posters with whom one has often disagreed. It's even more challenging when one has just been elevated to "front page poster" from among them.

What to include? A personal history - a sort of a resume for a political hobby writer? A personal philosophy? Perhaps events that shaped one's life. Does anyone really care one way or another and who is the target market? Perhaps no one at all.

I think the best thing to do is to introduce myself to those who do not know me. As I have been told, many people do not read below the initial post and they will have little or no idea of who I am and what I believe. I think I'll keep it simple, give my name, perhaps use a little humor, explain how I began writing and why politics is important to me.

I think that will do, after I edit the piece to tiny little pieces. Then I'll submit it to Charlie Harper at Peach Pundit and see if it passes muster. I wish myself good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment